Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Istanbul

We had to wrap our shoes in these before entering into the Dolmabahce palace, where the Sultans of the Ottoman empire lived in the 19th century (after moving from topkapi palace)
ikea, eat your heart out. These are the 'built in' shelves in Topkapi Palace, the original home to the Sultans of the Ottoman empire
The Sunken Palace - underground cisterns

Plates plates and more plates in the Grand Bazaar - a 'shopping mall' built by the first Sultan of the Ottoman Empire in 1461. The guy was a clever man.

I got back from Istanbul after having spent a long weekend there - Monday was a Bank Holiday, so the man suggested I fly over and visit. Istanbul is such a beautiful city and with so much history. I enjoyed myself, gallavanting to the many historical sites. The man had to work most of my visit, but I liked walking around the city and just absorbing the beauty of the mosques and palaces (not to mention, I enjoyed the heat whilst London was wet & cold!).

Here are some pics which I took - I visited the Aya Sofya (the only church & mosque in the world), the Topkapi and Dolmabahce Palaces (the monarchs of the Ottoman empire lived in Topkapi and then moved to Dolmabahce in the 19th century), the Blue Mosque and underground cisterns (where apparently they filmed the scene where Bond was rowing amongst marble columns in 'From Russia with Love'). Also went shopping at the Grand Bazaar ( which was build by the first Sultan of the Ottoman empire in 1481 - there are more than 4000 shops in there and it was more a labyrinth than anything else!!) and Spice Market, where I bought LOADS of saffron for only £2. Would've cost about £100 over here for all that saffron I bought, I reckon!! The local hand-painted plates are also so pretty - various designs & colours which would put Wedgewood to shame. The man & I also managed to get onto a cruise on the Bospurus river, which separates Europe & Asia - we went all the way to the mouth of the Black Sea! The cruise didn't take that long - only about an hour an a half in total, but it was really nice to see the sights from the boat.

Apparently, my mom's dad's forefathers are from Turkey. That may explain my strong sense of 'coming home'...more pics to come! Picassa only allows 4 per blog. What a draggggg.

x suannie

Posted by Picasa

No comments: